Velo Orange Piolet Frameset
VO Piolet Frameset
This item will not go via postal service so will need to be sent by courier. There is an additional charge for shipping outside UK and EU please send us a message for a shipping quote.
The Piolet is our adventure touring frame. It's designed for off-pavement touring, including dirt and gravel roads, dual track, and single track. We built it to be sturdy, simple, and very capable. As with our other frames it's built from double butted chrome-moly, even the fork. The seat says are a cool mono-stay design. The fork is also our own segmented design and loaded with bosses for mounting racks, water-bottles, gear cages, and even fenders. You can set it up like a traditional touring bike or bike packer style.
The Piolet frame is not suspension fork corrected. This really improves appearance and helps us optimize handling. It uses disc brakes. You can go with hydraulic brakes, though we prefer the simplicity of mechanical (cable) actuation.
The small and extra-small sizes use 26" wheels. We chose 26" because they are easier to replace than 650b in remote locations. The larger size frames all use 700c, or 29er, wheels. The Piolet is designed for 2.4" tires, but larger tires will fit.
You can also use 650b (27.5") wheels on the larger size frames (M, L, XL). We find that 650b x 2.85" wide tires have almost the same diameter as 700c x 2.4", so handling will be as designed and there is sufficient clearance.
Here are some frame details and features:
- 4130 double butted frame with mono-stay seatstays
- 4130 double butted segemented-style fork
- Disc brakes
- Vertical dropouts
- Through-boss lowrider mounts
- Full rack mounts front and rear
- Double eylets on the fork dropouts (plus many bosses) and triple eyelets on the rear dropouts
- Five water bottle cages. Two of these are on the fork. Fork and downtube mounts are the new 3-boss type so you can use standard or oversize bottle cages or gear cages.
- The Piolet has full mounts for front and rear racks.
- The mid-trail geometry allows for front or rear loading.
- There are proper fender mounts; this is a VO frame after all.
- The Piolet works equally well with drop bars or with flat bars.
- Metal headbadge
Here's the stuff you, or your mechanic, will need to know when building it up. 135mm rear spacing with vertical dropouts. IS mount disc brakes, cable or hydraulic actuation. 27.2mm seat post. Bottom pull and bottom swing front derailleur. 73mm standard threaded bottom bracket shell for MTB components. 1-1/8 inch headset.
The geometry chart can be found here.
Any components ordered by retail customers at the same time as the frame will be discounted by 10%; this reduction will be made when we process your order and will appear on your final shipping confirmation/invoice.